Thursday's Review: Ranger's Apprentice: Book One: The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan

Yay, another derivative adventure series! Will is too small and spindly to enter 'warrior school' so he gets apprenticed to a 'Ranger' who taches him how to 'Move Silently', 'Climb', 'Backstab', 'Track', and a number of other skills stolen straight from Dungeons and Dragons. Guess what? Then he Saves the Realm! Mediocre story, derivative setting, boring characters. Interesting monster, I'll give it that.

Is it me? Have I outgrown this kind of book? I know not all young adult books are awful. I love Diana Wynne Jones. But the last several YA or YA-type books that I've read just seem so flat and bad to me lately.

Maybe it's because I'm reading them in between the classics, but I've been doing that for over a year now....

No comments: