Reading Journal Entry: The Day I Swapped My Dad For Two Goldfish by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean

Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean have collaborated on a number of projects; two or three kid's books (including The Wolves in the Walls, now adapted into a stage work) and the movie released last year, Mirrormask.

McKean's art is lovely and layered, with a multimedia look that makes me go all oogly inside. Combine this with crushworthy Neil Gaiman's writing prowess and what do you get? Millions of screaming fans, that's what. Here's their fun collaboration website.

The Day I Swapped My Dad For Two Goldfish is a picture book. It doesn't have the utter creepy scariness of Coraline; instead it's kind of sweet and silly but sassy too. This book has a bad attitude, and I love it. Dad gets swapped around town something fierce, clinging to his newspaper and his silence the whole time.

Gaiman's prose works are bestsellers (American Gods, Anansi Boys) which I've enjoyed, but his best work in my opinion is in illustrated media. This is one of his best. Is it earth shattering? No (and Coraline was). But it is a great example of a 'best of breed' type book.

You can tell he's a dad.

No comments: