20 must-read Scottish books....

Via The Literary Saloon.

The Scotsman has compiled a list of 20 Scottish books everyone must read.

My grandmother was Scottish. I've a tendre for the place. How many of these have I read? Just one.

"The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark: As much a time and a place as a character, Spark's Jean Brodie came to embody a generation of Edinburgh women. Her unconventional ways and blatant favouritism made her both terrifying and alluring."

Read it. Did. Not. Get. It.

I've read works other than those selected by Alexander McCall Smith, Iain Banks, Sir Walter Scott, and Robert Louis Stevenson.

2 comments:

Richard Mason said...

Read: 2 (Kidnapped, Wasp Factory)
On the Shelf: 1 (Lanark)
Seen the Movie: 2 (Trainspotting, Miss Brodie)

My great-uncle George made the list! Embarassingly, I haven't read Greenvoe, nor is it even on the shelf, although some of his other stuff is.

Richard Mason said...

P.S. Pretty funny that Robin Jenkins's The Cone Gatherers is described as "Scotland's Of Mice and Men."

Didn't Robert Burns write Scotland's Of Mice and Men?