The Poems and Songs of Robert Burns

My grandmother was born in Scotland. My family has an annual Robert Burns dinner which I have so far not managed to get to. I am familiar with bits and pieces of the poet's work, and it was a delight to recognize these favorite, oft-quoted lines in this excellent production.

Dan Cairney performs the well-known classics as well as some more obscure works. The material is challenging, and he rises to the task with glee; he gives full throat to the Scottish dialect and accent and doesn't hesitate to speed up to an occasionally galumphing pace when the material demands. Including the text with the tape would have been a nice touch, especially for the general public.

My favorite work was 'The Cotter'; my favorite line, from 'Ode to a Louse':

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion:
What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
An' ev'n devotion!

No comments: