Great Book: Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens

My second Dickens, the first being David Copperfield.

Although I'd never read Great Expectations, I was pretty sure I knew all about it. Sadly, I was right.

Convict: check. Beautiful yet heartless Estella: check. Crazy Miss Havisham: check.

The set-up for Pip's future is so iconic that I've encountered it, in one guise or another (I actually remember seeing an animated version at some point) over and over again. Then Pip grew up and things starfted resolving themselves, but all the interesting stuff was over. Sure, the whole Magwitch-Estella connection was a surprise. But for the most part, the second half of the book was events playing themselves out.

I much preferred David Copperfield, both the book and the character.

Onward!


No comments: