Beloved, by Toni Morrison

I finally read Beloved, by Toni Morrison, which was da winner of the NY Times survey seeking to crown the best American novel published in the past 25 years.

I had been avoiding it for a while, like I avoid reading many great books. I procrastinate as if they are homework I don't want to complete or movies I can never see for the first time again. In January, while I was 'on vacation' from blogging, the Seattle Public Library sent me an email telling me there was a copy waiting for me on my special shelf, and it was time.

I read it, but I didn't feel I could write about it. I don't feel qualified. In fact I feel grossly inadequate. When the New York Times reviewed it, they asked Margaret Atwood. That's about right.

I am too tired to talk about pain so deep. Having written that sentence, I reread it and realize that my reaction to this book is all about me. Inevitable, perhaps, but disappointingly egoistic.

3 comments:

JoanneMarie Faust said...

You have truly captured my thoughts on reviewing this book as well. I had to content myself with my peripheral thoughts on the reading experience. It's nice to see I'm not the only person who felt this way.

Joy said...

I have not had a chance to read this,on eyet but it is on my TBR list! Now i am really excited! I stumbled across your blog while reading another book blog! You have some books here that I must read! thanks for the great blog, I will definitely be back!

Anonymous said...

Beloved - Toni Morrison gives us a glimpse into the world of a mother pushed to the ultimate limit. The painful memories of Sethe will make you want to reach out and touch her, it will bring tears to your eyes. This book is well worth your time to read.