Reading Journal Entry: The Spellcoats by Diana Wynne Jones

Another fun book, I know, I know. It's not like I'm goofing off totally, folks, I'm halfway through a huge memoir by Dean Acheson and The Education of Henry Adams. I need something a little lighter at breakfast, that's all. The Spellcoats is another of the bunch of fantasy books I picked up 50% off two weeks ago, and another Diana Wynne Jones also. This is the 3rd stand-alone novel of, I think, 4, set in the country of Dalemark. Good stuff! Light, funny at time, and a novel convention. Instead of an epistolary novel or a diary, the story is being woven into a coat by one of 5 siblings who just happen to be descended from The Undying. The setting is well done - you really get a sense of the geography and local culture, and it's so refreshing to read a fantasy novel not set in generic-medieval-fantasy-world.

No comments: